Purpose of Grant
To benefit the conservation status of great crested newts.
The BWT Grants are available for two areas within Flintshire.
The core area for the grant is Deeside and Buckley Newt Sites Special Area of Conservation (SAC) with a 1km buffer as established by North East Wales Pondscapes Project. To view a map showing the boundary of this area click HERE. The boundary is shown in red..
The second area is the Broughton Project Area. To view a map showing the boundary of this area click HERE. The boundary is shown in red.
With regards to European sites where great crested newts are a principle feature refer to the Conservation Objectives of the Special Area of Conservation (SAC) Core Management Plan available at www.naturalresourceswales.gov.uk
Project examples that would benefit great crested newt populations include:
– Pond creation, enhancement and restoration
– Terrestrial habitat management (to benefit semi natural habitats)
– Connectivity management and enhancement, as above
– Purchase of land
– Control of invasive species
– Environmental Education/Training projects
– Community projects including working with fishing clubs.